My College Advocate offers a variety of options depending on your needs in the college search and application process. Clients may choose a short-term hourly arrangement or select an individualized plan for more comprehensive service.
Jane provided unmatched guidance and experience that equipped our daughter with the skills and confidence to successfully search, apply to, and gain admittance to the university of her dreams.Meredith, Parent
My College Advocate offers hourly consultations for those who would like to address a specific concern or have questions about a particular aspect of their college process. Prior to the consult, clients are asked to provide a full compliment of materials including the transcript, school profile, standardized testing results, list of extracurricular activities and a preliminary list of schools being considered.
Comprehensive Plans and Specialty Services
Freshman and Sophomore Year
My College Advocate counsels students at all stages of their high school education. Beginning with their freshman or sophomore year, we provide students and their families with several important assessments to help map out a strong foundation for their high school career and college preparation goals.
Our plan includes:
- Professional review and assessment of current academic records
- Advisement and recommendations on future course selection
- Develop a standardized testing plan to that best suits the child’s needs and strengths
- Provide feedback and suggestions that will help them discover their best self in regards to extracurricular and summer opportunities
Junior and Senior Year
We understand that every student’s path to college is unique; therefore all comprehensive plans are custom-designed to meet the specific needs of our clients. Our comprehensive plans begin with an initial two-hour meeting to build a solid foundation for each student’s planning process. My College Advocate devotes the first hour solely to getting to know the student and understanding their strengths, interests, aspirations, and goals as they start conceptualizing their own college process. During the second hour, we ask parents to join the conversation so that we can map out the upcoming planning process and clarify goals.
My College Advocate will serve many roles throughout this process—including part coach, mentor, advisor, and motivator—all to provide your student with helpful guidance, counsel, and support every step of the way.
College counseling services may include:
- Student assessments for college interest and career planning
- Parent questionnaire
- Transcript review and academic course planning
- Standardized testing plan for SAT, ACT and/or SAT Subject Tests
- Review of student assessments and parent questionnaire
- Access to private web-based college list and application management tool
- College list development that matches the characteristics (including academic and financial parameters) identified by the family
- Creating a timeline to meet requirements and deadlines of identified schools
- College visit and research advising
- Guidance with affordability and scholarship opportunities
- Guidance on choosing admission options (Early Decision, Early Action, Regular Decision and Rolling)
- Comprehensive guidance and support with the application process
- Essay support and review including brainstorming, essay topic development and proofreading of student prepared work
- Interview preparation
- Activities review and resume development (if necessary)
- Management of Teacher and Counselor Recommendation packets
- Athletic recruitment guidance
- Audition and portfolio guidance and preparation
- Organizational support throughout process with attention to important deadlines and application guidelines
- Guidance and advice on financial aid award packaging
- Review of acceptance choices, advice and support on the final decision making process, and guidance if considering wait list options.
The Recruited Athlete
The athletic recruitment process can be overwhelming and often confusing. My College Advocate can assist you with all aspects of the college recruitment process and scholarship opportunities while helping you gain a better understanding of the policies and procedures that are followed by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA).
Whether providing guidance on developing an athletic profile or advising you on the do’s and don’ts when it comes to official visits and communication with coaches, we can help you sort out the often complicated layers that come with this process.
In addition, we offer important guidance when it comes to academic guidelines and procedures (i.e. NCAA Clearinghouse) affiliated with the NCAA and NAIA regulations.
For The Artist
We understand the integral role that the audition or portfolio plays in the admission process, which is why My College Advocate offers a comprehensive list of options and opportunities for students seeking college admission in the performing and visual arts. Our team can help you identify the right schools for your discipline, offer insightful and professional artistic guidance of your portfolio or audition, as well as provide ongoing guidance and support with important application and artistic deadlines.